What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease. It is patient-centered. It is about YOU.
Functional medicine addresses the WHOLE person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease.
In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
Why Do We Need Functional Medicine?
- Our society is experiencing a sharp increase in the number of people who suffer from complex, chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis.
- These Chronic Diseases are preventable and treatable using Lifestyle Intervention.
- The system of medicine practiced by most physicians is oriented toward acute care, the diagnosis and treatment of trauma or illness that is of short duration and in need of urgent care, such as appendicitis or a broken leg. Physicians apply specific, prescribed treatments such as drugs or surgery that aim to treat the immediate problem or symptom.
- Unfortunately, the acute-care approach to medicine lacks the proper methodology and tools for preventing and treating complex, chronic disease. In most cases it does not take into account the unique genetic makeup of each individual or factors such as environmental exposures to toxins and the aspects of today’s lifestyle that have a direct influence on the rise in chronic disease in modern Western society.
- Most physicians are not adequately trained to assess the underlying causes of complex, chronic disease and to apply strategies such as nutrition, diet, and exercise to both treat and prevent these illnesses in their patients.
WE ARE TRAINED AND READY TO HELP. WE HAVE SOLUTIONS TO YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS.
WHY IS FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE DIFFERENT?
We answer the Questions:
What is getting in the way of your health?
What is the cause of your illness?
What does your body need in order to function at it’s best?
The answers to these questions are different for everyone since we all experience life differently and we are all biochemically unique. Two patients with the same symptoms can have 2 very different causes and thus need to be treated uniquely for best results.
- Are you under a lot of stress at work or at home?
- Do you often feel tired for no apparent reason?
- Due to family history are you at a higher risk for diseases such as: heart disease, diabetes, cancer or arthritis?
- Is losing weight difficult, but gaining seems unavoidable?
- Do you often eat or crave foods like pasta, chips, and sweets?
- Do you have trouble remembering things or concentrating?
- Do you wake up tired and wishing you could go back to bed?
- Does your doctor say “everything’s ok” but you still feel lousy?
- Are you taking supplements, but feel they’re not working?
If you answered yes to any of the preceding questions, Functional Medicine will most likely help you.
Prevent illness instead of spending time,
money and heartache treating it.
We can help you get your health back and once you get it…..we can help you protect it.